The Calatrava model: reflections on resilience and urban plasticity
Libro: The Role of Art and Culture for Regional and Urban Resilience
This book analyses the influence of art and culture as an engine to promote the resilience of regional and urban economies. Under a multidiscplinary perspective, the book examines the contribution of some creative regions and cities as places in which processes of transformation, innovation and growth are activated in response to external pressures. Through different theoretical frameworks and empirical investigations and suggesting a critical discussion of the notion of resilience, the authors argue that cultural and creative resources may offer a sustainable model in order to afford different typologies of shocks. The book will appeal scholars of regional and urban science and cultural and creative economies and will open up a number of considerations for policy makers.
This volume was originally published as a special issue of European Planning Studies.
Table of Contents
1. Responding to and resisting resilience Luciana Lazzeretti and Philip Cooke
2. Turin and Lingotto: resilience, forgetting and the reinvention of place Annalisa Colombino and Alberto Vanolo
3. The Calatrava model: reflections on resilience and urban plasticity Rafael Boix, Pau Rausell and Raül Abeledo
4. Resilience in ruins: the idea of the ‘arrested dialectic’ in art after resilience’s failures Philip Cooke
5. Adaptation, adaptability and resilience: the recovery of Kobe after the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995 Stefania Oliva and Luciana Lazzeretti
6. Resilience and the role of arts and culture-based activities in mature industrial districts Marco Bellandi and Erica Santini
7. Blue notes: Slovenian jazz festivals and their contribution to the economic resilience of the host cities Marilena Vecco and Andrej Srakar
8. Beyond resilience: learning from the cultural economy Andy C. Pratt
9. Tourism and regional economic resilience from a policy perspective: lessons from smart specialization strategies in Europe Nicola Bellini, Francesco Grillo, Giulia Lazzeri and Cecilia Pasquinelli